EICAR has created the EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File to test the response of antivirus software.
The anti-virus test file is a harmless string of text that all antivirus software is set to detect and remove. You can create it yourself to test your antivirus software.
Create an anti-virus test file
Here’s an easy way to create an anti-virus test file:
- Open Notepad from the Start menu (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Notepad).
- Paste the string of text below in the empty notepad document.
- Save the document anywhere on your computer.
- Your antivirus software should catch it and possibly remove it immediately.
What if my antivirus software didn’t catch it?
- Make sure you followed the directions above exactly.
- Make sure real-time protection is turned on.
- Perform a full scan and see if it catches it that way. If it does, you really need to make sure real-time protection is turned on.
- Look into getting better antivirus software. Use Microsoft Security Essentials. It’s free, made by Microsoft, and really good.